I did test w/ the latest artful upload (35.39), and the problem is not
reproducing. I don't see anything obvious in the git log that explains
it. I'll try rebuilding it in a xenial environment on the off-chance it
is a toolchain issue.

  fails to boot on Cavium ThunderX CRB

  While regression testing the current linux-hwe proposed kernel
  (4.13.0-33.36~16.04.1), I found that it fails to boot on a Cavium
  ThunderX CRB. I've rebooted twice since upgrading from the current
  -updates kernel, and it's failed to boot both times, with different
  failure modes.