Ran the tests against the i386 -proposed kernel, cannot reproduce the
issue with the fixed kernel.  Also ran the ADT tests and could not
reproduce the issue (and these run the memory hotplug tests too).

Tested, and verified.

** Tags removed: verification-needed-artful
** Tags added: verification-done-artful

  artful 4.13 i386 kernels crash after memory hotplug remove

Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  == SRU Request, Artful ==

  Hotplug removal causes i386 crashes when exercised with the kernel
  selftest mem-on-off-test script.

  == Fix ==

  Revert commit f1dd2cd13c4b (""mm, memory_hotplug: do not associate
  hotadded memory to zones until online")

  Note: A fix occurs in 4.15 however this requires a large set of
  changes that are way too large to be SRU'able and the least risky way
  forward is to revert the offending commit.

  == Testcase ==

  Running the kernel selftest script mem-on-off-test.sh, followed by a
  sync, followed by re-installing kernel packages will always trigger
  this issue. Simply running the mem-on-off-test.sh script sometimes
  won't trigger the problem.  I believe this is why we've not seen this
  happen too frequently with our ADT tests.  I can reproduce this in a
  VM with 4 CPUs and 2GB of memory.

  == Regression Potential ==

  Reverting this commit does remove some functionality, however this
  does not regress the kernel compared to previous releases and having a
  working reliable memory hotplug is the preferred option.  This fix
  does touch some memory hotplug, so there is a risk that this may break
  this functionality that is not covered by the kernel regression
  testing.