artful verification:
ubuntu@starbuck:~$ dmesg | grep xlp9xx
[   46.890471] ipmi_ssif: Trying SPMI-specified SSIF interface at i2c address
0x10, adapter xlp9xx-i2c, slave address 0x0

** Tags removed: verification-needed-artful
** Tags added: verification-done-artful

  thunderx2: i2c driver PEC and ACPI clock fixes

Status in linux source package in Artful:

  The i2c input frequency is currently hardcoded in the driver. This may not
match the actual frequency used by the platform. Upstream has updated the
driver to pull the frequency from firmware.

  [Test Case]
  The updated driver will detect the CAV9007 ACPI ID:

  ubuntu@starbuck:~$ dmesg | grep xlp9xx-i2c
  [   47.723562] xlp9xx-i2c CAV9007:02: i2c transfer timed out!
                            ^^^^^^^
  The old driver will not claim this device.

  [Regression Risk]
  The changes are restricted to a driver that appears to be only used on MIPS
platforms (which we don't support) and Cavium ThunderX2 systems that we've
specifically tested upon.