** Tags added: id-5a7c414e913451969b0ad7c9

  Repeating "can't open /dev/ttyX: No such device or address" messages
  during installation

Status in Ubuntu on IBM z Systems:
  Confirmed
Status in console-setup package in Ubuntu:

  console-setup continuously tries to open /dev/tty[1-6] on s390x, when
  such consoles do not exist on s390x.

  This can be seen on boot in the output from the initramfs, and during
  the installer.

  [Cause]

  It seems to me that the postinst of the console-setup is incorrect for
  s390, since on s390 Linux tty[1-6] do not exist in any modes (LPAR,
  z/VM, KVM)

  [Solution]
  I do not know what ACTIVE_CONSOLES should be set as, my guess is to set it
to... "guess". Usually it should be slcp, but that depends on which consoles
are configured/activated in the given KVM.

  [Testcase]
  On boot, scroll all the messages and makesure there are no error messages
about inability to open /dev/tty*

  [Original Bug Report]

  During the installation (z/VM guest and KVM virtual machine) of Ubuntu
  Server 16.04.1 (and 16.04.2) repeating messages of the form:

  "
  Select and install software ... 10% can't open /dev/tty4: No such device or
address
  can't open /dev/tty2: No such device or address
  can't open /dev/tty3: No such device or address
  can't open /dev/tty4: No such device or address
  can't open /dev/tty2: No such device or address
  can't open /dev/tty3: No such device or address
  can't open /dev/tty2: No such device or address
  can't open /dev/tty4: No such device or address
  can't open /dev/tty4: No such device or address
  can't open /dev/tty3: No such device or address
  can't open /dev/tty2: No such device or address
  can't open /dev/tty2: No such device or address
  can't open /dev/tty3: No such device or address
  ... 20% can't open /dev/tty4: No such device or address
  can't open /dev/tty2: No such device or address
  can't open /dev/tty3: No such device or address
  ... 30%... 40% can't open /dev/tty3: No such device or address
  can't open /dev/tty4: No such device or address
  can't open /dev/tty2: No such device or address
  ... 50% can't open /dev/tty3: No such device or address
  can't open /dev/tty4: No such device or address
  can't open /dev/tty2: No such device or address
  ... 60% can't open /dev/tty2: No such device or address
  can't open /dev/tty3: No such device or address
  can't open /dev/tty4: No such device or address
  can't open /dev/tty2: No such device or address
  Finishing the installation ... 13%... 22%... 31% can't open /dev/tty3: No
such device or address
  can't open /dev/tty2: No such device or address
  can't open /dev/tty4: No such device or address
  ... 40%... 50%... 63%... 72%... 81% can't open /dev/tty4: No such device or
address
  can't open /dev/tty2: No such device or address
  can't open /dev/tty3: No such device or address
  ... 90% The system is going down NOW
   Sent SIGTERM to all processes
   Sent SIGKILL to all processes
   Requesting system reboot
  01: HCPGSP2629I The virtual machine is placed in CP mode due to a SIGP stop
CPU 00.
  02: HCPGSP2629I The virtual machine is placed in CP mode due to a SIGP stop
CPU 00.
  03: HCPGSP2629I The virtual machine is placed in CP mode due to a SIGP stop
CPU 00.
  00 Storage cleared - system reset.
  00 zIPL ......
  "

  They start to occur when the software gets installed:

  "Select and install software ... 10% can't open /dev/tty4: No such
  device or address"

  And only stop with the final system reboot at the end of the
  installation.