Verified by our QA.  Changing tag to "verification-done-xenial".

Thanks, Jamie, below steps were helpful.
This bug did not repro with [Ubuntu 16.04] + kernel 4.4.0-116-generic : 384.111
(R384_00)

I've verified output through all channels (7.1) using Test Sound option in
Sound Setting + by running different 4,6 channel clips using aplay.
Connections were made using DP-HDMI dongle + DENON-AVR

** Tags removed: verification-needed-xenial
** Tags added: verification-done-xenial

  ALSA backport missing NVIDIA GPU codec IDs to patch table to Ubuntu
  16.04 LTS Kernel

Status in linux source package in Xenial:

  Add support for 4/6/8 channel sound in 16.04 LTS kernel for future
  GPUs.

  This commit[1] first introduced in "Thu Jul 13 19:27:39 2017"[2] has
  what is needed base on discussion we had with nvidia:

  [1] - Commit

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tiwai/sound.git/commit/?id=74ec118152ea494a25ebb677cbc83a75c982ac5f

  ALSA: hda - Add missing NVIDIA GPU codec IDs to patch table

  Add codec IDs for several recently released, pending, and historical
  NVIDIA GPU audio controllers to the patch table, to allow the correct
  patch functions to be selected for them.

  [2] - git describe --contains 74ec118152ea494a25ebb677cbc83a75c982ac5f
  v4.13-rc3~21^2~5