Did this issue start happening after an update/upgrade?  Was there a
prior kernel version where you were not having this particular problem?

Would it be possible for you to test the latest upstream kernel? Refer
to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelMainlineBuilds . Please test the latest
v4.16 kernel[0].

If this bug is fixed in the mainline kernel, please add the following
tag 'kernel-fixed-upstream'.

If the mainline kernel does not fix this bug, please add the tag:
'kernel-bug-exists-upstream'.

Once testing of the upstream kernel is complete, please mark this bug as
"Confirmed".

Thanks in advance.

[0] http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.16-rc2

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

  Linux Mint/Ubuntu is taking modem off-hook during logon

  As of 15 February 2018 (and possibly earlier) the following bug has
  been reintroduced:

  When Linux Mint (Cinnamon OR Mate) OR UBUNTU starts up (_after_ the
  login screen), the Smartlink internal modem is taken off hook, and
  remains off hook (disabling the telephone line) until such time as the
  system is shut down or rebooted (in which case it goes off hook again
  after login).

  This annoying bug was introduced with Linux Mint 17.0 Trusty, and also
  occurs with Ubuntu 14.04. It disappeared with Linux Mint 18.0 Xenial
  (which is based on Ubuntu 16.04). Now it is back, possibly as a result
  of the latest updates, possibly earlier.

  Yes, since Linux no longer supports the Smartlink modem, even with the
  modifications to the kernel that previously worked, I could simply
  disconnect the internal modem. But I dual-boot to Windoze, and DO use
  it without problem in Windoze, so it is more than an annoyance.

  I can understand Linux not supporting hardware, but it is unacceptable
  that Linux is sending commands to unsupported hardware whihc cause it
  to malfunction.

  As a Linux USER, I have no way of isolating the component causing the
  bug. It will require a trace of what is written to the COM port(s)
  during login. But, since it was fixed before, there should be some
  record of the cause and solution.