User reported several nodes lost connectivity in several situations, for
instance during the netboot, in which a flood of arp traffic happens due
to multiple simultaneous boot across the cluster.

No stack trace or message is seen, the device just stop receiving

In our attempts to reproduce the issue BCM5719 lost connectivity, always
only under a heavy arp storm, in the follow situations:

- changing MTU
- interface configuration (with ifconfig or ip tool)
- netboot

In order to fix the issue we need to include the upstream patches:

1 -
which reads: "tg3: Fix rx hang on MTU change with 5717/5719 "

2 -
which reads: "tg3: APE heartbeat changes"

Considering that 18.04 is planned to use linux 4.15 we will need to
backport only the second patch.

I'll submit it to the ml and post here a reference.

** Affects: linux (Ubuntu)

** Tags: architecture-ppc64le bugnameltc-165090 severity-high
BCM5719/tg3 loses connectivity due to missing heartbeats between fw and driver
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Kernel Packages,
which is subscribed to linux in Ubuntu.

Mailing list:
Post to     :
Unsubscribe :