I am having the same issue. I tested the C5 instance when it first came
out and it would randomly lock up at 100% CPU. I contacted AWS support
and they could not figure it out. They sent a message to the devs to see
if they could. So I switched back to c4 instances. I decided to try it
again yesterday and it working fine until this morning when it randomly
decided to lock up at 100% CPU again. I looked at all the logs and
nothing is showing me what could be causing issues. I tried multiple
kernels and for me, they all seem to do it. Anyone figure this out? I
would really like to use the C5.

  sssd appears to crash AWS c5 and m5 instances, cause 100% CPU

Status in cloud-images:
  In Progress
Status in linux-aws package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in linux source package in Xenial:
  In Progress
Status in linux-aws source package in Xenial:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  After upgrading to the Ubuntu EC2 AMI from 20180126 (specifically
  ami-79873901 in us-west-2) we have seen sssd hard locking c5 and m5
  EC2 instances after starting the service and CPU goes to 100%.

  We do not experience this issue with t2 or c4 instance types and we do
  not see this issue on any instance types using Ubuntu Cloud images
  from 20180109 or before. I have verified that this is kernel related
  as I booted an image that we created using the Ubuntu cloud image from
  20180109 which works fine on a c5. I then did a "apt update && apt
  install --only-upgrade linux-aws && systemctl disable sssd", rebooted
  the server, verified I was on the new kernel and started sssd with
  "systemctl start sssd" and the EC2 instance froze and Cloudwatch CPU
  usage for that instance went to 100%.

  I haven't been able to find much in the syslog, kern.log, journalctl
  logs, etc. The only thing I have been able to find is that when this
  the syslog and sssd log files.  I have attached several log files and
  the output of a "apport-bug /usr/sbin/sssd". Let me know if you need
  anything else to help track this down.

  Thanks,
  Paul