This is still happening in Ubuntu 17.10. Last time I tried to use ubuntu
it was with 16.04 and I had to stop using it because of this issue. This
is a critical bug, and I cannot understand that it is marked as low
priority and not assigned to anyone.

I cannot use Linux like this, I don't use the computer to browse web
pages and write a couple of documents, for that I would buy a tablet, I
use the computer to perform large computations, and they will overtake
the existing RAM of the computer.

I had a process that was generating a delanuay triangulation with a
large set of nodes, and it was impossible to perform this calculation in
Ubuntu, I switched to a MacBook pro with similar specs and the
computation finished in 2 min.

I have already tweaked the system using zram, zswap, changing the values
of the vm., like swappinness, etc. to no avail.

This is preventing me to change to Linux, and it should be fixed.

  System freeze on high memory usage

Status in linux package in Arch Linux:

  I run a batch matlab job server here at my lab, running Dapper 6.06 (for the
LTS). One of the users has submitted a very memory-consuming job, which
successfully crashes the server. Upon closer inspection, the crash happens like
this:
  1. I run matlab with the given file (as an ordinary, unpriveleged user)
  2. RAM usage quickly fills up
  3. Once the RAM meter hits 100%, the system freezes: All SSH connections
freeze up, and while switching VTs directly on the machine works, no new
processes run - so one can't log in, or do anything if he is logged in.
(Sometimes typing doesn't work at all)

  Note that the swap - while 7 gigs of it are available - is never used.
  (The machine has 7 gigs of RAM as well)

  I've tried the same on my Gutsy 32-bit box, and there was no system
  freezeup - matlab simply notified that the system was out of memory.
  However, it did this once memory was 100% in use - and still, swap
  didn't get used at all! (Though it is mounted correctly and shows up
  in "top" and "free").

  So first thing's first - I'd like to eliminate the crash issue. I
  suppose I could switch the server to 32-bit, but I think that would be
  a performance loss, considering that it does a lot of heavy
  computation. There is no reason, however, that this should happen on a
  64-bit machine anyway. Why does it?

  WORKAROUND: Enabling DMA in the BIOS