I see the same issue on my Skylake desktop (sig=0x506e3).  The microcode
updates at startup (microcode: microcode updated early to revision 0xc2,
date = 2017-11-16) but I still get "Intel Spectre v2 broken microcode
detected; disabling Speculation Control".  I also tested it on Ivy
Bridge, Broadwell, and another Skylake system (0x406e3) and it works
properly on all those.

  With intel-microcode 3.20180312, kernel reports as broken spectre v2

  With an intel-microcode package based off of
  Microcode-Data-File, when booting, the kernel 4.15.0-10.11-generic
  reports the following in dmesg:

  [    0.000000] microcode: microcode updated early to revision 0x84, date =
  [    0.000000] Intel Spectre v2 broken microcode detected; disabling
Speculation Control

  And indeed, none of ibrs, ibpb, or stibp show up in /proc/cpuinfo.
  Other testers of the updated microcode report seeing the same thing.

  The processor this is being tested on is:

  cpu family      : 6
  model           : 142
  model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz
  stepping        : 9
  microcode       : 0x84

  The test for the microcode is in https://git.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-
  ; specifically, it looks like bad_spectre_microcode(c) is returning

  It seems
  has not been pulled in yet (though it's staged as
  3e442a86b70eea274d01569244584d91e2f287e7 in bionic/master-next and is
  in 4.15.0-12.13 in bionic-proposed), which addresses things for Kaby
  Lake processors, but other processers may need to be verified for