for the service not starting, I don't know where to look, feel free to
open a new bug even if I don't know how to fix it yet

Packages, which is subscribed to dkms in Ubuntu.

  virtualbox-guest-utils.service not starting

Status in dkms package in Ubuntu:

  I am trialing various flavours of Ubuntu in Virtualbox virtual
  machines - Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Ubuntu and Ubuntu Mate.  All version
  18.04, running on Kubuntu 17.10 host.  All set up identically as far
  as I can tell, with virtualbox-guest-dkms, virtualbox-guest-utils and
  virtualbox-guest-x11 installed in each guest.

  All work fine except that shared folders does not work in 2 of the
  VMs.  It works in Xubuntu, Ubuntu but not in Lubuntu and Ubuntu Mate.
  On investigation it appears that the virtualbox-guest-utils.service is
  not started automatically on the two versions not working.  If I start
  it manually everything is OK.

  Here is the status -
  systemctl status virtualbox-guest-utils.service
  ● virtualbox-guest-utils.service - Virtualbox guest utils
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/virtualbox-guest-utils.service;
enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
     Active: inactive (dead)

  Looking in journalctl there are no messages showing that the service
  tried to start and failed.  There is nothing.

  Package: virtualbox-guest-utils 5.2.8-dfsg-2
  Uname: Linux 4.15.0-10-generic i686
  ApportVersion: 2.20.8-0ubuntu10
  Architecture: i386
  CurrentDesktop: LXDE
  Date: Mon Mar  5 09:53:02 2018
  InstallationMedia: Lubuntu 12.10 "Quantal Quetzal" - Release i386 (20121017.1)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=en_GB:en
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: virtualbox
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to bionic on 2018-03-04 (0 days ago)