Public bug reported:

Testing the latest arm64 18.04 mini ISO on a raspberry pi 3, I found the
internal sd card reader was not recognised.  This is the main storage on
a pi.  Manually extracting the mmc/host/bcm2835 module from the extras
package and insmod'ing it got it working on the d-i installer.

It would be great if the sd card could be recognised out of the box.  I
think all that is needed is to include the module in the block storage
udeb.

Note the pi has two SD controllers.  A second is used for the WiFi (but
can also be used for the sd card reader).  That is also missing from the
debian installer as far as I can tell.

  Debian-installer missing mmc bcm2835 module