Today's 18.04 upgrade from 17.10, using 4k or 1080 monitor with display port or
with HDMI for Radeon RX 460 booting until bios,then screen flashing with
jumbled colors every few seconds, shutdown displays Ubuntu logo.
Removing graphics card and using onboard HDMI for both is same as above, but
shows Ubuntu loading animation, then no signal.
Starting without monitor the plugging in 1080 shows attached picture between
flashing

** Attachment added: "Screenshot_20180405-153332.png"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1723619/+attachment/5103173/+files/Screenshot_20180405-153332.png

  Ubuntu Desktop ISO fails to boot with nouveau on a displayport

Status in Linux:
  Confirmed
Status in Release Notes for Ubuntu:

  On the latest daily artful image (/current as of 2017-10-14), the
  following occurs on a system with nVidia graphics (on my system, a
  GTX970) when connected to a 4k display over a displayport:
  https://photos.app.goo.gl/gLUva3Vgvtv0lAmj2

  Steps to reproduce:
  - Download latest daily image, check checksums, burn to USB
  - Boot from USB.
  - Choose "Install Ubuntu" or "try ubuntu" at the menu.

  This happens on the livecd, but also upon ugrading the system from a
  previous daily with a different kernel: my "old" daily booted and
  installed fine with kernel 4.12.0-12, then failed with same error once
  dist-upgraded.

  On the faulty system I could test with, it seems to *only* happen over
  displayport/on a 4k screen (I don't own a non-4k displayport screen to
  test the 4k out).