Public bug reported:

When running Ubuntu 17.10 on my laptop which has a "Nvidia Geforce GTX
950M" and a "Intel HD Graphics 530" graphic card, the boot process
freezes.

The cause is that the current Linux kernel does not include FOSS drivers for
"Nvidia Geforce GTX 950M".
The solution to avoid that freeze is to add the "nomodeset" grub boot parameter
or to install the proprietary Nvidia driver.

My concern is that you have to be aware of that circumvent when installing
Ubuntu OS for the first time.
I think that it would be more logical that the Linux kernel uses the low
performance graphic card "Intel HD Graphics 530" by default, without trying to
use "Nvidia Geforce GTX 950M" which is not natively supported.
That would avoid the bad experience of boot freeze at first meeting.

Computer :
Model = Asus N752VX-GC164T
Ubuntu 17.10

  Boot freeze due to Nvidia Geforce GTX 950M