I seem to be having an issue like this as well. I did a fresh install of
18.04 yesterday, and while the nvidia x server application states that
the discrete gpu is turned off, i have a hardware light on my laptop
that shows it to still be active, even though the nvidia x server
settings show the integrated gpu to be in use, and there's additional
fan noise and heat that typically accompanies the discrete gpu when the
internal is selected.

intel i-5 2410M
nvidia 550M

according to nvidia, the 390 drivers are appropriate compatable with my
hardware.

16.04 did not share this error, and when the discrete gpu was
deactivated to run the integrated gpu, it would truly switch off.

Is there another fix for this?

Packages, which is subscribed to nvidia-settings in Ubuntu.

  nvidia-prime can't switch off the discrete GPU

Status in nvidia-prime package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in nvidia-settings package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in ubuntu-drivers-common package in Ubuntu:

  nvidia-prime used to be able to switch off and on NVIDIA dGPU. Now, a
  change in the nvidia packaging, and a change of behaviour in logind,
  broke this feature.