@Heikki try this:

sudo vi /etc/gdm3/custom.conf

and uncomment:

WaylandEnable=false

It worked for me

  Boot freezes with Gdm3

  If the selected display manager is "LightDM" I am able to run the
  desktop, but if Gdm3 is the selected one, the loading freezes during
  the boot.

  I can see this error in /var/log/syslog:

  gnome-session-binary[1127]: CRITICAL: Unable to create a DBus proxy
  for GnomeScreensaver: Error calling StartServiceByName for
  org.gnome.ScreenSaver:
  GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited: Process
  org.gnome.ScreenSaver exited with status 1

  Also I guess this affects normal execution of applications like
  "SteamOS", as it exists with the error:

  dbus[3704]: arguments to dbus_message_new_method_call() were incorrect,
assertion "path != NULL" failed in file ../../../dbus/dbus-message.c line 1362.
  This is normally a bug in some application using the D-Bus library.

    D-Bus not built with -rdynamic so unable to print a backtrace