This bug was filed for ubuntu-mate 18.04 beta. Ubuntu-MATE 18.04 release
boots and runs on my Banias Pentium-M with the 'forcepae' boot option
entered after the '---' (interrupt boot by pressing F6, press 'Escape'
to type in boot options). Interestingly, Virtualbox still seems to need
'PAE/NX' checked for the DVD or iso to boot. I don't know if this is due
to 18.04 or due to Virtualbox. I think we can call this bug squashed!

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

  forcepae option doesn't work for ubuntu-mate 18.04 beta

Status in ubuntu-mate:

  Downloaded ubuntu-mate 18.04 beta for 32-bit; confirmed sha256sum.
  Attempted VBox install using live-iso. iso boots and runs when PAE box
  is checked for VBox kernel, iso fails to boot when PAE box is not
  checked. using boot paramater 'forcepae -- forcepae' i am still
  getting the 'pae missing' error message. i noticed that the boot
  parameters now end with '---' instead of '--' as was the case with
  16.04 after 'quiet splash'. If this isn't a bug, what changed with the
  boot parameters?