So far I could verify this problem on a test  VM. How to reproduce:

* install ubuntu with the HWE kernel
* apt install zfs-dkms

packages build with all kernel versions up to 4.8.0-52-generic.
4.8.0-53-generic always fails

Building initial module for 4.8.0-53-generic
ERROR: Cannot create report: [Errno 17] File exists:
'/var/crash/spl-dkms.0.crash'
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 4.8.0-53-generic (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/spl/0.6.5.6/build/make.log for more information.

root@template-xenial:~# lsb_release -rd
Release:        16.04

Additionally it is not clear to me why there is a zfs-dkms package even
though the modules are included in the kernel?

--
zfs-dkms and spl-dkms fail to build with new hwe kernel 4.8.0-53-generic
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1693757