** Package changed: linux-hwe (Ubuntu) => linux (Ubuntu)

  Black screen after system updates

  Kubuntu 17.10 amd64

  After recent system updates on reboot I get a black screen after the
  login screen, no desktop.

  Various attempts to start plasma desktop/kde failed with messages such as:
  ksmserver closed unexpectedly
  display is not set or cannot connect to the x server

  The following packages had been updated to v 17.2.8:

  libgbm1
  libegl1-mesa
  libwayland-egl1-mesa
  libglapi-mesa
  libgles2-mesa
  libgl1-mesa-glx
  libgl1-mesa-dri
  libxatracker2
  mesa-va-drivers
  mesa-vdpau-drivers

  I reinstalled the previous version of these drivers and everything was
  back to normal.

  I read elsewhere someone reporting a similar problem but that it had
  gone away after recent updates. So I reapplied the above system
  updates and again had no desktop after rebooting.

  I again reverted to the previous versions (17.2.2) and the desktop is
  now working again.

  My graphics card is AMD/ATI Radeon