This bug is missing log files that will aid in diagnosing the problem.
While running an Ubuntu kernel (not a mainline or third-party kernel)
please enter the following command in a terminal window:

apport-collect 1770643

and then change the status of the bug to 'Confirmed'.

If, due to the nature of the issue you have encountered, you are unable
to run this command, please add a comment stating that fact and change
the bug status to 'Confirmed'.

This change has been made by an automated script, maintained by the
Ubuntu Kernel Team.

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

  Logitech QuickCam 4000 Pro halts system

Status in libv4l package in Ubuntu:

  After switching from Fedora to Ubuntu (17.10 and now 18.04),
  whenever I plug my Logitech QuickCam 4000 Pro USB webcam
  and I start vlc or any other camera capture program, the memory of
  the program increases to maximum, as a consequence the system halt
  and the only way out is to reboot the machine.

  [  663.031843] Linux video capture interface: v2.00
  [  663.039656] pwc: Logitech QuickCam 4000 Pro USB webcam detected.
  [  663.557858] pwc: Registered as video0.
  [  663.557925] input: PWC snapshot button as
/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb3/3-6/3-6.3/input/input14
  [  663.558101] usbcore: registered new interface driver Philips webcam