Any fix that goes into Artful is also applied to the 4.13 HWE kernel in
Xenial.  The fix will get into the HWE kernel that way.

   General Protection fault in inotify (fixed upstream)

Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in linux source package in Artful:
  In Progress
Status in linux source package in Bionic:
  In Progress
Status in linux source package in Cosmic:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  We've run into some issues where upgrading the kernel from a 4.10
  series to a 4.13 series on Ubuntu 16.04 hosts that make heavy use of
  inotify causes panics and lockups in the kernel in inotify-related
  code. Our particular use case seemed to hit these at a rate of one
  every 30 minutes or so when serving up production traffic.
  Unfortunately, I have been unable to replicate the issue so far with a
  simulated load-testing environment.

  When the issue occurs, we get dmesg entries like "BUG: soft lockup -
  CPU#0 stuck for 22s!" or "General protection fault: 0000 [#1] SMP
  PTI". In the soft lockup case, the host is still up but all I/O
  operations stall indefinitely (e.g. typing "sync" into the console
  will hang forever). In the protection fault case, the system reboots.
  I've attached dmesg output from the two cases to this bugreport.

  We have noticed the issue with the following kernels:
  - linux-image-4.13.0-1013-gcp
  - linux-image-4.13.0-1015-gcp
  - linux-image-4.13.0-36-generic

  We did _not_ have the issue with
  - linux-image-4.10.0-32-generic

  I've submitted this bug report from a system which should be
  configured identically to our production hosts that were having issue
  (the affected hosts were immediately rolled back to 4.10).

  This bug appears to have been fixed upstream as of 4.17-rc3 in this
  commit:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=d90a10e2444ba5a351fa695917258ff4c5709fa5

  I would guess that perhaps this patch should be backported into both
  the 4.13 HWE and GCP Ubuntu kernel series?

  Thanks,
  KJ

  Package: linux-image-4.13.0-1013-gcp 4.13.0-1013.17
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.13.0-1013.17-gcp 4.13.16
  Uname: Linux 4.13.0-1013-gcp x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2.16
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Mon May 14 07:58:29 2018
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: linux-gcp
  ---
  AlsaDevices:
   total 0
   crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116,  1 May 10 07:57 seq
   crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 33 May 10 07:57 timer
  AplayDevices: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
  ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2.16
  Architecture: amd64
  ArecordDevices: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
  AudioDevicesInUse: Error: command ['fuser', '-v', '/dev/snd/seq',
'/dev/snd/timer'] failed with exit code 1:
  CRDA: N/A
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 16.04
  IwConfig: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
  Lsusb: Error: command ['lsusb'] failed with exit code 1:
  MachineType: Google Google Compute Engine
  Package: linux (not installed)
  PciMultimedia:

  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  ProcFB:

  ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.10.0-32-generic
root=UUID=73ea38ed-7fcd-4871-8afa-17d36f4e4bfc ro scsi_mod.use_blk_mq=Y
console=ttyS0
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.10.0-32.36~16.04.1-generic 4.10.17
  RelatedPackageVersions:
   linux-restricted-modules-4.10.0-32-generic N/A
   linux-backports-modules-4.10.0-32-generic  N/A
   linux-firmware                             N/A
  RfKill: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
  Tags:  xenial uec-images xenial uec-images
  Uname: Linux 4.10.0-32-generic x86_64
  UnreportableReason: The report belongs to a package that is not installed.
  UserGroups:

  WifiSyslog:

  _MarkForUpload: False
  dmi.bios.date: 01/01/2011
  dmi.bios.vendor: Google
  dmi.bios.version: Google
  dmi.board.asset.tag: 98BEC19B-1DEB-1A9F-1146-C6E4D8577ADB
  dmi.board.name: Google Compute Engine
  dmi.board.vendor: Google
  dmi.chassis.type: 1
  dmi.chassis.vendor: Google
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnGoogle:bvrGoogle:bd01/01/2011:svnGoogle:pnGoogleComputeEngine:pvr:rvnGoogle:rnGoogleComputeEngine:rvr:cvnGoogle:ct1:cvr:
  dmi.product.name: Google Compute Engine
  dmi.sys.vendor: Google