I pulled the hdparm binary from Artful, and it can't spin down the drive
with -y either.

Packages, which is subscribed to zfs-linux in Ubuntu.

  gsmartcontrol, hdparm, and ZFS all refuse to talk to an apparently
  working Seagate Backup+ Hub drive after upgrade to 18.04

Status in gsmartcontrol package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in hdparm package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in zfs-linux package in Ubuntu:

  I recently upgraded from 17.10 to 18.04. After the upgrade, I noticed
  that my Seagate Backup+ Hub external drive was displaying a series of
  puzzling symptoms:

  1. gsmartcontrol can't get SMART data from the drive. I am pretty sure
  it used to report SMART data? Here's a log of it not working:

  <warn>  [hz] Warning: exit: Command line did not parse.
  <warn>  [app] execute_smartctl(): Smartctl binary did not execute cleanly.
  <warn>  [app] StorageDevice::execute_device_smartctl(): Smartctl binary did
not execute cleanly.
  <warn>  [app] SmartctlParser::parse_section_info_property(): Unknown property
"Physical block size"
  <warn>  [app] SmartctlParser::parse_section_info_property(): Unknown property
"Logical Unit id"
  <warn>  [app] SmartctlParser::parse_section_info_property(): Unknown property
"Temperature Warning"
  <warn>  [app] SmartctlParser::parse_section_data(): Unknown Data subsection
encountered.
  <warn>  [hz] Warning: exit: Some SMART command to the disk failed, or there
was a checksum error in a SMART data structure
  <warn>  [app] SmartctlParser::parse_section_info_property(): Unknown property
"Physical block size"
  <warn>  [app] SmartctlParser::parse_section_info_property(): Unknown property
"Logical Unit id"
  <warn>  [app] SmartctlParser::parse_section_info_property(): Unknown property
"Temperature Warning"
  <warn>  [app] SmartctlParser::parse_section_data(): Unknown Data subsection
encountered.

  2. hdparm used to be able to spin down the drive. I had it configured
  to spin it down after a few minutes of inactivity, in the hdparm
  config file. Now that no longer happens, and hdparm can't seem to talk
  to the drive meaningfully at all:

  [anovak@octagon ~]$ sudo hdparm -I /dev/sdb

  /dev/sdb:
  SG_IO: bad/missing sense data, sb[]:  70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0a 00 00 00 00 24
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

  ATA device, with non-removable media
  Standards:
        Likely used: 1
  Configuration:
        Logical         max     current
        cylinders       0       0
        heads           0       0
        sectors/track   0       0
        --
        Logical/Physical Sector size:           512 bytes
        device size with M = 1024*1024:           0 MBytes

  /dev/sdb:
   issuing standby command
  SG_IO: bad/missing sense data, sb[]:  70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0a 00 00 00 00 24
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

  I think this may be related to https://askubuntu.com/questions/1037997
  /upgraded-to-18-04-usb-harddrive-doesn-t-idle-anymore which is someone
  else having the same problem.

  3. The ZFS tools think the drive is hosed:

  [anovak@octagon ~]$ sudo zpool status hub
    pool: hub
   state: UNAVAIL
  status: One or more devices could not be used because the label is missing
        or invalid.  There are insufficient replicas for the pool to continue
        functioning.
  action: Destroy and re-create the pool from
        a backup source.
     see: http://zfsonlinux.org/msg/ZFS-8000-5E
    scan: none requested
  config:

        NAME                               STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        hub                                UNAVAIL      0     0     0
insufficient replicas
          ata-ST6000DM003-2CY186_ZF200PC8  UNAVAIL      0     0     0

  This may be related to the drive having adopted a new /dev/disk/by-id
  name during the upgrade? I think it was "ata-
  ST6000DM003-2CY186_ZF200PC8" when I added it to my zpool by its
  symlink under /dev/disks/by-id, but now it is "usb-
  Seagate_Backup+_Hub_BK_NA8TQC87-0:0":

  [anovak@octagon ~]$ ls -lah
/dev/disk/by-id/usb-Seagate_Backup+_Hub_BK_NA8TQC87-0\:0
  lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 May 31 20:52
/dev/disk/by-id/usb-Seagate_Backup+_Hub_BK_NA8TQC87-0:0 -> ../../sdb

  This *shouldn't* cause trouble; you should be able to export the zpool
  and re-import it under the new name. But zpool import shows nothing to
  import:

  [anovak@octagon ~]$ sudo zpool import
  no pools available to import

  And I also can't export or even destroy the busted zpool, because
  zpool doesn't think it exists for exporting or destroying purposes:

  [anovak@octagon ~]$ sudo zpool export hub
  cannot export 'hub': no such pool or dataset
  [anovak@octagon ~]$ sudo zpool destroy hub
  cannot destroy 'hub': no such pool or dataset

  4. The weirdest thing is that the drive itself seems to be working
  correctly. I see /dev/sdb1 and /dev/sdb9, as expected for a ZFS drive.
  I can `cat /dev/sdb1 | xxd | less` and see the data stored on the
  drive, including what I think is the ZFS label (at 0x4000, with a
  bunch of ZFS-y strings in it) that zpool is upset about not seeing. I
  see the partitions in `gparted` just fine, too; there's no indication
  that there's anything wrong with the partition table. Even the
  device's integrated USB hub seems to be working fine. This is
  definitely not a hard drive failure.

  If I had to speculate, I would guess that the drive is being treated as a
generic USB mass storage device now, when it used to be being handled as a SATA
device in a USB-to-SATA enclosure (which I think it is). That would explain the
name change, and the difficulty that hdparm and gsmartcontrol have in talking
to it. The ZFS weirdness with not being able to export/destroy the pool has to
be another issue; it happens even when the drive is disconnected from the
system entirely.

  Package: gsmartcontrol 1.1.3-1
  NonfreeKernelModules: zfs zunicode zavl icp zcommon znvpair
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Thu May 31 20:46:52 2018
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 17.04 "Zesty Zapus" - Release amd64 (20170412)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: gsmartcontrol
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to bionic on 2018-05-29 (3 days ago)