Public bug reported:

Hello,

As explained yesterday on #ubuntu-kernel, several laptop won't boot
(kernel panic) with the latest kernel 4.4.0-127-generic (x86_64) and
upper (proposed 4.4.0-128-generic), on Xenial 16.04 LTS

I have made many tests to verify that the bootloader (GRUB) is correctly
configured (I have also reinstall it, but same result).

I have also verified the BTRFS system is clean and not corrupted (with a
livecd).

The behavior is unpredictable, because often the kernel fall in "panic"
during boot, but not all the time, if i do several consecutive reboot to
test stability of the boot "process". I have no search behavior with
previous kernels (like 4.4.0-127-generic).

I suspect (even if I'm quiet disturbed by this behavior, maybe I wrong) that
something I changed on last kernel:
- on BTRFS subsystem, I have "aggregate" BTRFS partitions as rootfs (for a long
time)
- something related with the last mitigation about the recent security
processor breach

But my skills stop here, and I'm not able to find the origin of this behavior
despite my efforts.
I can continue my investigation if I have some additional pointers.

Thanks for your time,

Sylvain

** Tags: xenial

** Attachment added: "kernel panic"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1776005/+attachment/5150599/+files/20180609_162040.jpg

  kernel instability with BTRFS filesystem as rootfs