** Package changed: dpkg (Ubuntu) => dkms (Ubuntu)

** Description changed:

+ (while gathering info for this bugreport, my knowledge about this issue
+ has been growing. So the top part was written with not everything known
+ yet)
+
  In my case I installed tp_smapi, but on the internet I've found others
  that have installed other modules.

  When configuring the tp-smapi-dkms package it says it will uninstall the
  module first and the it reports: Building initial module for
  4.15.0-23-generic

  After that it hangs, or so it seems. It turns out that somewhere in
  there a script is being called with output redirected to /dev/null. But
  under certain circumstances, in my case "the computer is configured for
  secure boot", whiptail is being called asking for a password.

  Whiptail outputs curses codes to write stuff to the screen but that is
  redirected to /dev/null. It then waits for input from the user. I've
  debugged this to the point that it is saying this:

-  whiptail --backtitle Package configuration --title Configuring Secure
+  whiptail --backtitle Package configuration --title Configuring Secure
  Boot --output-fd 12 --nocancel --msgbox Your system has UEFI Secure Boot
  enabled.  UEFI Secure Boot requires additional configuration to work
  with  third-party drivers.  The system will assist you in configuring
  UEFI Secure Boot. To permit  the use of third-party drivers, a new
  Machine-Owner Key (MOK) has been  generated. This key now needs to be
  enrolled in your system's firmware.  To ensure that this change is being
  made by you as an authorized user,  and not by an attacker, you must
  choose a password now and then confirm  the change after reboot using
  the same password, in both the "Enroll  MOK" and "Change Secure Boot
  state" menus that will be presented to you  when this system reboots.
  If you proceed but do not confirm the password upon reboot, Ubuntu will
  still be able to boot on your system but any hardware that requires
  third-party drivers to work correctly may not be usable. --scrolltext 20
  77

  but, as I said the output is redirected to /dev/null.

- The call-tree is as follows:
+ The call-tree is as follows:

-dpkg(18879)---tp-smapi-dkms.p(18880)---common.postinst(18881)---dkms(19146)---dkms(19161)---frontend(20224)-+-update-securebo(20238)
-            |           |

                                             `-whiptail(20253)
+            |           |

                                             `-whiptail(20253)

- (with the update-secureboot and whiptail both being children from "frontend".
).
- The tp-smapi-dkms.postinst  program is still being called with stdout
connected to my controlling terminal. The common.postinst has stdout connected
ot /dev/null, so I'd first look in
/var/lib/dpkg/info/tp-smapi-dkms.postinst....
+ (with the update-secureboot and whiptail both being children from "frontend".
).
+ The tp-smapi-dkms.postinst  program is still being called with stdout
connected to my controlling terminal. The common.postinst has stdout connected
ot /dev/null, so I'd first look in /var/lib/dpkg/info/tp-smapi-dkms.postinst....
  I have looked there, and I don't see a reason why it would redirect the
output of a subprocess to /dev/null. (the word does not occur in the short
script.)
- Alternatively I'd think that maybe the subprocess
/usr/lib/dkms/common.postinst would redirect its own stdout to /dev/null.
+ Alternatively I'd think that maybe the subprocess
/usr/lib/dkms/common.postinst would redirect its own stdout to /dev/null.

- On the other hand.... I found
-   dkms build -m $NAME -v $VERSION -k $KERNEL $ARCH > /dev/null
+ On the other hand.... I found
+   dkms build -m $NAME -v $VERSION -k $KERNEL $ARCH > /dev/null

  which explains the dkms subprocess running with output redirected to
  devnull, but not why the common.postinst runs with output redirected to
  devnull.

  Anyway. DKMS kernel module install postponed, apt  inoperable until I
  can physically access the machine....

- Should have been automatically added, but here goes:
- 1:
+ Should have been automatically added, but here goes:
+ 1:
  Release:        18.04
  2: dkms: 2.3-3ubuntu9.1
- 3: People (not just me) expect a simple apt-get install <a module> to not
hang wihtout explaining why.
+ 3: People (not just me) expect a simple apt-get install <a module> to not
hang wihtout explaining why.
  4: it hung without any explanation.

  Package: dpkg 1.19.0.5ubuntu2
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.2
  Architecture: amd64
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Release amd64 (20180426)
  SourcePackage: dpkg

Packages, which is subscribed to dkms in Ubuntu.

  DKMS seems to hang after installing a module.

Status in dkms package in Ubuntu:

[...]