I've turned up many, many new server and workstation systems over the
years on both Linux and Windows. Never seen anything like this behaviour
I'm witnessing on Ubuntu Server 18.04 before where I simply lose
Internet connectivity while using a browser.  Ethernet interfaces
usually either work or they don't work.

I've configured the Intel I219-V Ethernet interface (wired Ethernet
connection, there is no wifi on this system) using the e1000e driver for
Ubuntu.  The Ethernet connection is configured to use NetworkManager via
Netplan on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Server version.  ASRock Z370m Pro4
motherboard.

The Ethernet interface will drop the Internet connectivity when I'm
using either the Firefox or Chrome browser.  It usually happens when I'm
using the search features of the browser. I can't figure out what would
cause this type of behaviour.  When the Internet connection drops, the
only way to get back Internet connectivity is to disconnect the wired
connection using the Ubuntu features and then re-connect (this restarts
the NetworkManager service I notice).

In the NetworkManager logs I do notice an "auth" error about a file or
directory not found. I've never seen that before.

Note:  The auth error does not coincide with the loss of Internet
connectivity, but it does proceed it.  Often there can be many hours
between the auth error and the actual loss of Internet connectivity.

After I reconnect the connection (via re-starting the NetworkManager
service) all will be fine for up to a day or so, but then I stress test
it with a bunch of searches using the browser and usually I can get the
Internet connectivity to drop again.  Repeat the disconnect and
reconnect process again (aka re-start NetworkManager) and the Internet
connectivity will be fine again.  The longest I've seen it go without an
"Internet connectivity drop" issue is about 36 hours.

I notice that the e1000e driver does not list the I219-V as a supported
Ethernet interface in the Intel documentation for the Linux version of
the driver.  I'm not sure why that is.  The I219-V is supposed to used
another driver, but it's not clear there's a Linux version for of the
driver for the I219-V.

I'm really disappointed that I've run into this issue with Ubuntu Server
LTS 18.04 on this motherboard.  I had CentOS Server 7.4 (my standard
server OS, a great Linux distro) on this same motherboard for a week
with no issues, so I know the motherboard and the I219-V Ethernet
interface are 100% good hardware wise and can work properly. CentOS 7.4
uses NetworkManager as the default for managing the Ethernet interface.

The only reason I'm using Ubuntu Server 18.04 on this motherboard is
because of a specific package that Ubuntu has a newer packaged version
than CentOS. CentOS is extremely stable when it comes to basic server
functionality.

Hopefully, this bug with the I219-V Ethernet interface using the e1000e
drive for Linux can be verified and a fix rolled out.

** Tags: bot-comment e1000e ethernet networkmanager
--
Intel I219-V Ethernet Interface on Ubuntu Linux Using e1000e Driver keeps
Dropping Internet Connection