Update:

I'd commented in detail about this bug (post 77,78). I run the live
versions of Linux on a 4GB Core-i5 laptop (and another 4GB pentium
laptop also.)

Just wanted to add:

I've added 4Gb of RAM to the Core-i5 laptop for 8Gb total now. This
helps a lot, but it's not a cure.

With Fedora 28, the system will still cease up with maybe 2 dozen (or
less depending on what's happening (video, etc) ) FF tabs opened/active.

I came back here to note that, I'm currently using a Live Debian Stretch
(9.5).

There are obviously significant differences in the way these variants of
Linux manage memory.

Why?

Because under the same system conditions (Gnome, same s/w programs
installed and/or running), I can open WAY more tabs in FF on Debian;
open more simultaneous programs, without fear of a sudden system heart-
attack.

In fact, it is much harder for me to cause the system freeze in Debian,
even with approaching 50 tabs opened in FF developer 63...

I understand there are underlying Fedora vs Debian system differences
like: systemd vs init, and Wayland vs Xorg, Gnome versions (3.28.1 vs
3.22.5) and kernel revisions (4.16.3-301.fc28.x86_64 vs 4.9.110-1
(2018-07-05) ), but in all, I find Debian WAYYYY more forgiving, and
more manageable, ESPECIALLY in light of this FATAL flaw, AND the known
Gnome memory leak bug which can easily be remediated for in Debian by
restarting Gnome (via Alt-F2, r) to free back up that memory. (The only
way to accomplish this in Fedora is to actually log out of your session
because of Wayland limitations.)

Anyway, I jut thought it's another data point to add to the mystery.

I still have to keep resource monitor opened even in Stretch, just in
case, but I only crashed Stretch once over the past 3 months or so when
I was in the 80's (mem % used) and let a video play for 2 hrs without
checking up.

Normally anyway, that percentage isn't rising above the 70's in my
typical "working" environment.

Finally, I'd like to mention to those asking for logs, etc., for this
issue, realize that WHEN this issue occurs, it *is* essentially a heart-
attack for the system. There is no recourse, and no way to gather logs.
EVERYTHING ceases up- usually never to come back. A hard power-cycle is
the only recourse, and NO logs which would shed light on the issue are
written. EVERYTHING stops- including log writing.

This is the reality.

I *do* have a few logs from and old (non-live) Jesse 8.7.1 install-- for
a few times when, the system did revive, after hours-- and there's
nothing in there that would shed light on the issue. The (very) few
(interesting/odd) entries in the log that I've researched pointed to no
other instances/causes of this same issue.

It would be nice after 11 or 12 years of this issue, if someone higher
up and more knowledgeable in the development "food chain" would would
simply replicate the issue, it's not really that hard to do so at all.

It honestly is a show-stopper.

Ciao.

  When DMA is disabled system freeze on high memory usage

  I run a batch matlab job server here at my lab, running Dapper 6.06 (for the
LTS). One of the users has submitted a very memory-consuming job, which
successfully crashes the server. Upon closer inspection, the crash happens like
this:
  1. I run matlab with the given file (as an ordinary, unpriveleged user)
  2. RAM usage quickly fills up
  3. Once the RAM meter hits 100%, the system freezes: All SSH connections
freeze up, and while switching VTs directly on the machine works, no new
processes run - so one can't log in, or do anything if he is logged in.
(Sometimes typing doesn't work at all)

  Note that the swap - while 7 gigs of it are available - is never used.
  (The machine has 7 gigs of RAM as well)

  I've tried the same on my Gutsy 32-bit box, and there was no system
  freezeup - matlab simply notified that the system was out of memory.
  However, it did this once memory was 100% in use - and still, swap
  didn't get used at all! (Though it is mounted correctly and shows up
  in "top" and "free").

  So first thing's first - I'd like to eliminate the crash issue. I
  suppose I could switch the server to 32-bit, but I think that would be
  a performance loss, considering that it does a lot of heavy
  computation. There is no reason, however, that this should happen on a
  64-bit machine anyway. Why does it?

  WORKAROUND: Enabling DMA in the BIOS