I've just tested a mainline kernel version 4.17.0, and nvme names didn't
float when using the kernel parameter "nvme_core.multipath=0", which
reinforces that the fix patch is present in 4.17, so Guo: I guess your
4.17 version is really based on 4.17-rc1.

Let me know if there's anything else to investigate in this LP. In my
understanding, we did have a bug after the nvme multipath introduction,
but now kernel has a fix which is available upstream after kernel v4.17,
and available in Ubuntu kernel 4.15.x series, after 4.15.0-34. To keep
the nvme naming behavior as before, we need to use the kernel parameter
"nvme_core.multipath=0".

Thanks,

Guilherme

  nvme name floated after boot with 4.15.0 kernel

Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in linux source package in Bionic:
  Triaged

Bug description:
  nvme device name such as /dev/nvme?n?p? would be floated that is
  symbol link to different real ssd device after reboot in 4.15.0 kernel
  for 16.04.5 HWE and 18.04 GA-kernel. This are not found on 16.04.5 GA-
  kernel ( 4.4.0)