I also noticed, that the isue is hard to observe on lightdm, but
reproduces easily when using gdm.

Packages, which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-390 in Ubuntu.

  Running update-initramfs -u on a kernel causes micro freezes in gnome-
  shell

Status in nvidia-graphics-drivers-390 package in Ubuntu:

  When kernels are installed, or when update-initramfs -u is run on a
  kernel, it causes gnome-shell to freeze for a few seconds if the
  machine is booted with that kernel or a newly installed kernel. During
  the freezes, the mouse pointer is still movable but the rest of the
  screen freezes. Any clicks get ignored and keyboard input is buffered
  then executed once the freeze is over. Please fix this as it is a big
  time productivity kller. THis is happening on my zenbook pro with
  nvidia graphics.

  Package: initramfs-tools 0.130ubuntu3.3
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_modeset nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.3
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: GNOME
  Date: Sat Sep 15 10:43:55 2018
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 17.10 "Artful Aardvark" - Beta amd64 (20171002)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: initramfs-tools
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to bionic on 2018-04-22 (146 days ago)