** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu Bionic)

  Ubuntu18.04: GPU total memory is reduced

Status in The Ubuntu-power-systems project:
  In Progress
Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in linux source package in Bionic:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  == SRU Justification ==
  Due to a recent change for powernv, now the total GPU memory is no longer
  available. This impacts performance for any application/benchmark has a
  large GPU memory utilization.

  IBM is requesting mainlien commit 7acf50e4efa6 in Bionic, which reverts
  mainline commit 4b5d62ca17a1.

  == Fix ==
  7acf50e4efa6 ("Revert "powerpc/powernv: Increase memory block size to 1GB on
radix"")

  == Regression Potential ==
  Low.  This is a revert that was also done upstream due to a regression.
  Limited to powerpc.

  == Test Case ==
  A test kernel was built with this patch and tested by the original bug
reporter.
  The bug reporter states the test kernel resolved the bug.

  == Comment: #0 - Michael Ranweiler <mranw...@us.ibm.com> - 2018-09-10
19:26:14 ==

  Due to a recent change for powernv, now the total GPU memory is no
  longer available. This impacts performance for any
  application/benchmark has a large GPU memory utilization.

  Previous amount of memory : 16128MiB
  Current amount of available memory : 15360MiB

  From Anton, describing the recent change.:
     powerpc/powernv: Increase memory block size to 1GB on radix

    Memory hot unplug on PowerNV radix hosts is broken. Our memory block
    size is 256MB but since we map the linear region with very large
    pages, each pte we tear down maps 1GB.

    A hot unplug of one 256MB memory block results in 768MB of memory
    getting unintentionally unmapped. At this point we are likely to oops.

    Fix this by increasing our memory block size to 1GB on PowerNV radix
    hosts.

    Fixes: 4b5d62ca17a1 ("powerpc/mm: add
  radix__remove_section_mapping()")

  This is fixed with: