Some feedback for Cosmic:

FWIW, I can confirm that the update did NOT break the keyboard backlight
key on Dell XPS 15 9575, where it had already worked flawlessly out-of-
the-box with Cosmic since installation in early September (contrary to
the bug description above stating that "keyboard backlight control keys
don't work in cosmic")

At the time also submitted the similar bug #1791372, "Keyboard backlight not
working on Asus ZenBook Flip UX561UD laptop in Cosmic 18.10, works with 18.04.1
desktop installer live image".
I can test this update on the Asus as well but cannot report result before
Sunday, Oct 4.

  [regression] Keyboard brightness control keys (down/up) don't work in
  cosmic (upower 0.99.8)

Status in upower package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Committed
Status in upower source package in Cosmic:

  * Impact
  keyboard backlight control keys don't work in cosmic

  *  Test case
  On a laptop with keyboard backlight and keys to control the level, try using
the keys, they should change the level

  * Regression potential
  The change is to lift some systemd process restriction, have extra access
shouldn't create issue but check that other features like suspend, battery
pourcentage report, etc keep working

  -----------------------

  https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/upower/upower/issues/73

  ---

  On laptops with two separate (down,up) keys to control the backlit
  keyboard, both keys seem to do nothing. The OSD for the backlit
  keyboard is displayed but no progress bar and no actual effect to the
  backlight. Almost as if the shell only understands laptops with a
  single key for controlling the keyboard backlight...

  Bug verified in cosmic on:
    * Asus UX331UAL
    * Apple Macbook Pro 12,1
    * Apple Macbook Air

  All of them have these keys and they all fail in the same way. However
  it is not a kernel bug. The kernel interface
  (/sys/class/leds/*::kbd_backlight/*) works when I write to it
  directly. This seems to be a problem with Gnome Shell only.

  Package: gnome-shell 3.30.0-3ubuntu1
  ApportVersion: 2.20.10-0ubuntu11
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME