I had to use kernel 3.13.0-157 to have suspend + newest microcode
working together without problems. Newer kernel versions would freeze
after suspend.

I downgraded microcode to 2.20140122.1 and then I could use the newest
kernel version to this date (3.13.0-162) without problems after suspend.

  3.13.0-149-generic: suspend/resume issue on 14.04

  On Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS, the most recent kernel update to
  3.13.0-149-generic means that my laptop (Acer Aspire V5) does not
  resume once suspended - all I get is a blank screen, unresponsive to
  keypresses, and I need to reboot.

  The 144 kernel is OK, and this question:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1040169/experiencing-suspend-resume-problem-after-latest-kernel-update-ubuntu-14-04
  suggests that 147 is OK too.