Hi David,

Before starting a bisect, we can try to narrow down the exact versions
first.  To start, I built a 4.17 kernel based on the azure tree.

The test kernel can be downloaded from:
http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~jsalisbury/lp1794477

Can you test this kernel and see if it exhibits this bug?

Packages, which is subscribed to linux-azure in Ubuntu.

  Accelerated networking (SR-IOV VF) broken in 18.10 daily

Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in linux-azure package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in linux source package in Cosmic:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  While testing Ubuntu 18.10 daily from cloud-images repo, on Azure, we
discovered that accelerated networking wasn’t working inside the VM.
  No VF shows up inside the VM and lspci didn’t show any Mellanox drivers in
use.
  We tested the daily build on Hyper-V also, but there the Mellanox VF is
functional, with the same mlx4 drivers.

  To give more details about this:
  • No mellanox logs are showing up in dmesg or syslog.
  • Modinfo mlx4_core/mlx4_en finds the module, but lsmod doesn’t show it as
loaded, although Accelerated Networking is enabled for the Azure VM, so this
should happen transparently.
  • Modprobe  -r mlx4_core && modprobe mlx4_core is giving 0 exit code, but
nothing really happens. And no Mellanox messages are logged in dmesg/syslog.
  - There are no entries in the logs to show anything about the drivers or
netvsc/pci-hyperv that might relate to this issue.

  Kernel: 4.18.0-7-generic