Thanks.  So I went ahead and created an environment to build some affected
modules out of tree (also includes a dkms package):

    https://github.com/stbuehler/fixed-cdc-ether-ncm

mDNS and IPv6 working fine so far.

  Dell D6000 dock lacks multicast Ethernet functionality

Status in Linux:
  Triaged

Bug description:
  Dell D6000 exposes a CDC_NCM device for Ethernet traffic. However,
  multicast Ethernet traffic is not processed making IPv6 not
  functional. Other services, like mDNS used for LAN service discovery
  are also hindered.

  The actual reason is that CDC_NCM driver was not processing requests
  to filter (admit) multicast traffic. I provide two patches to the
  linux kernel that admit all Ethernet multicast traffic whenever a
  multicast group is being joined.

  The solution is not optimal, as it makes the system receive more
  traffic than that strictly needed, but otherwise this only happens
  when the computer is connected to a dock and thus is running on AC
  power. I believe it is not worth the hassle to join only the requested
  groups. This is the same that is done in the CDN_ETHER driver.