well, meanwhile I installed Fedora 29 on this box in order to find out whether
the rtl8192ee will work there - no chance. I am posting the output of various
commands based on fedora 29 in the attachment 8192.logs.
Well I know it is Fedora 29, if you need an output based on a current Ubuntu or
Kubuntu installation, please let me know, I will retest and document the logs
on one of these versions.

Thank you very much for any help!

** Attachment added: "8192ee.logs"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1239578/+attachment/5218258/+files/8192ee.logs

  No wireless support for Realtek RTL8192EE [10ec:818b]

Status in HWE Next:
Status in linux source package in Trusty:
  Won't Fix
Status in linux source package in Utopic:

  Open this bug to trace device driver RTL8192EE.

  We have seen this wireless card on some laptops, id is [10ec:818b],
  driver is RTL8192EE.

  This bug is only for the initial support of this WiFi adapter, it's
  not working 100% well yet, please report new "not working bug" or
  contact upstream but not keep posting comments, thanks.

  pull-request for trusty was NAKed because next minor Trusty release
  will use Utopic LTS kernel, which had already fixed this issue.

  please wait it or upgrade your whole distro to Utopic.