Try adding initramfs as an option in /etc/crypttab. That's the approach
I use when putting the whole pool on a LUKS device, and is necessary due
to: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cryptsetup/+bug/1612906

Packages, which is subscribed to zfs-linux in Ubuntu.

  cryptsetup waits for zvol /dev/zvol/rpool/swap with no zpool imported
  during boot. Timing problem?

Status in zfs-linux package in Ubuntu:

  Hi,
  first of all: I don't know if it is a bug in cryptsetup-initramfs or
zfs-initramfs or another one.

  The problem is that since my upgrade from bionic to cosmic the
  cryptsetup tries too early to setup my cryptswap device which is on a
  zvol.

    cryptsetup: Waiting for encrypted source device /dev/zvol/rpool/swap...
         ALERT! encrypted source device /dev/zvol/rpool/swap does not exist,
can't unlock cryptswap1.

  After timeout I find myself in a initramfs-shell (initramfs).
  When I do zpool list there is no zpool importet.
  After

    zpool import -N rpool
    ^D

  the cryptsetup succeeds.
  Greetings,

     Lars

  Package: cryptsetup-initramfs 2:2.0.4-2ubuntu2
  NonfreeKernelModules: zfs zunicode zavl icp zcommon znvpair
  ApportVersion: 2.20.10-0ubuntu13.1
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: GNOME