I ran update-manager in the terminal and made it crash as I mentioned,
however no useful input was shown in terminal :/ any idea?

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

  software-updater crashes everytime after upgrading to Lubuntu 18.04

  I am running a virtualbox with Lubuntu 18.04. I upgraded to this
  version from the previous LTS through the software-updater, and
  everything worked fine, except for the software updater- Whenever I
  run it manually to see if there are updates, or when it pop-out
  automatically and I click, it crashes. I tried to run it from terminal
  to see if it showed some error but I couldn't find a way to do so. Any
  help? If I run "sudo apt-get upgrade" I can update the software
  without problem. I tried it on another virtualbox with the same set-up
  (host Lubuntu 16.04.3 guest Lubuntu 18.04) and the problems happens
  too.