** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

     Assignee: TJ (tj) => (unassigned)

  Boot failure on Dell Precision 5820 with Intel Xeon W-2123 CPU

  So I'm trying to install Ubuntu 16.04.5 (happens on 18.04 as well) on a Dell
Precision 5820 with a GTX 1080 in it. These machines are lease refreshes.

  I created a UEFI image of 16.04.5, selected "Install Ubuntu" and then
  starts throwing a bunch of error messages stating

  [33.192238] nouveau 0000:05:00.0: DRM: base-0: timeout

  repeating over and over again. It never gets past this.

  I tried the suggestions of adding "nomodeset" in grub when I'm
  booting. It progresses a little further but hangs at "failed to start
  Ubuntu Installation Service, please run journalctl to see what
  failed". I can't see what failed as I can't get a prompt since nothing
  is installed. I don't know where to go debug from here.

  My computer boots to a black screen, what options do I have to fix it?

  Graphics issues after/while installing Ubuntu 16.04/16.10 with NVIDIA
  graphics

  Ubuntu 16.04 Installation Issue Boots Into Black Screen or Freezes -
  Nouveau/Nvidia Driver issue 1080ti

  Ubuntu 16.04 installation blank screen

  Ubuntu 16.04 unable to boot with GTX 1080

  etc.

  However, I tried Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS and did NOT have the issues with
  the video and was successfully able to install Ubuntu 16.04.1.
  Unfortunately, 16.04.1 didn't support the integrated Intel i219-LM
  network card. I tried 16.04.2, 16.04.3, 16.04.4 and they all exhibit
  the same behavior as 16.04.5 with the video.

  Just as a test, I installed 16.04.1, installed broadcom NIC (which was
  successfully detected), and upgraded from 16.04.1 --> 16.04.5 with
  apt-get and had no video issues after reboot (I didn't install the
  video drivers), in addition, after it was upgraded to 16.04.5 the
  Intel 219-LM drivers were added and would work. I have a workaround,
  but it's REALLY annoying.

  The kicker in this is that the Dell Precision 5810 worked 100%
  correctly. Put the USB boot drive in, select the drive in UEFI to boot
  and everything works out of the box.

  I'm working on gathering more logs of this issue and testing different
  kernel versions.