You're welcome Putatieve, thanks for testing the Xenial 4.4.0-143
version!

And you're right, we will have a fix for Xenial-HWE - as soon it is available,
you will observe a new message from Brad Figg here, this time adding a tag
"verification-needed-bionic".
And then, likely the version for Xenial-HWE will be ready to test.

Notice the "likely" word above: happens that the build process is
usually parallel, with Bionic 4.15 and Xenial 4.15~16.04 at same time;
but there are small code changes (mostly toolchain related) between
Bionic 4.15 and Xenial-HWE, so it may happen that Bionic version is
ready before Xenial-HWE. It's likely to be at same time (or with some
hours of difference) though.

If you're interested in more knowledge about Ubuntu kernel cycles, I'd like to
suggest you this interesting wiki page:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/FAQ#Kernel.2FSupport.Ubuntu_Kernel_Release_Schedule
You can check the releases and also, how the HWE works (18.04 kernel 4.15 is
present as a long-term supported HWE kernel for 16.04.5 version; same relation
we observe between 16.04 and 14.04.5).

Feel free to expose any remaining questions you have - also, your testing when
the 4.15 version gets released to -proposed is much appreciated!
Cheers,

Guilherme

  Userspace break as a result of missing patch backport

Status in linux source package in Xenial:
  Fix Committed
Status in linux source package in Bionic:
  Fix Committed
Status in linux source package in Cosmic:

  Hi,

  The most recent set of Ubuntu kernels applied a variety of tty patches
  including:

https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/c96cf923a98d1b094df9f0cf97a83e118817e31b

  But have not applied the more recent

https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/d3736d82e8169768218ee0ef68718875918091a0
  patch.

  This second patch is required to prevent a rather serious regression
  where userspace applications reading from stdin can receive EAGAIN
  when they should not.

  I will try to link correspondence from the mailing list archives once
  they are available, but for now if you have access to the linux-
  console mailing list you can find discussion under the thread
  "Userspace break? read from STDIN returns EAGAIN if tty is "touched"".

  I would appreciate it if this could be examined soon as it is a
  regression on userspace.

  Thanks
  Michael

  Good:
  4.15.0-43-generic #46-Ubuntu SMP Thu Dec 6 14:45:28 UTC 2018

  Bad:
  4.15.0-44-generic #47-Ubuntu SMP Mon Jan 14 11:26:59 UTC 2019