This bug is awaiting verification that the kernel in -proposed solves
the problem. Please test the kernel and update this bug with the
results. If the problem is solved, change the tag 'verification-needed-
bionic' to 'verification-done-bionic'. If the problem still exists,
change the tag 'verification-needed-bionic' to 'verification-failed-
bionic'.

If verification is not done by 5 working days from today, this fix will
be dropped from the source code, and this bug will be closed.

See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed for documentation how
to enable and use -proposed. Thank you!

** Tags added: verification-needed-bionic

  [Feature] Optimize huge page clear/copy cache behavior

Status in intel:

  Description

  Huge page helps to reduce TLB miss rate, but it has higher cache
  footprint, sometimes this may cause some issue. For example, when
  clearing huge page on x86_64 platform, the cache footprint is 2M. But
  on a Xeon E5 v3 2699 CPU, there are 18 cores, 36 threads, and only 45M
  LLC (last level cache). That is, in average, there are 2.5M LLC for
  each core and 1.25M LLC for each thread. If the cache pressure is
  heavy when clearing the huge page, and we clear the huge page from the
  begin to the end, it is possible that the begin of huge page is
  evicted from the cache after we finishing clearing the end of the huge
  page. And it is possible for the application to access the begin of
  the huge page after clearing the huge page.

  To help the above situation, when we clear or copy a huge page, the
  order to clear or copy the sub-pages can be changed to clear or copy
  the sub-page to access last.

  Target Kernel: 4,19
  Target Release: 18.10