** Tags removed: verification-needed-bionic
** Tags added: kernel-fixup-verification-needed-bionic

  [Bug][CLX]assertion failure with util_range_rw using libpmemlog,
  possible kernel DAX bug

Status in intel:

  On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 8:20 AM, Czurylo, Krzysztof
  <krzysztof.czur...@intel.com> wrote:

  > I suspect the problem is caused by a bug in the kernel.
  >
  > I did a few experiments and it looks like the issue occurs only if the
  > filesystem is mounted with "-o dax". I can reproduce is both for xfs
  > and ext4, so it's not FS-specific, but rather DAX-specific. It also
  > reproduces on an emulated PMEM - no need to use real AEP DIMMs.
  >
  > Using the latest kernel (4.16.0) does not help.
  >
  > What happens:
  >
  > In debug version of libpmemlog (but also libpmemblk), the entire pool
  > is by default write-protected with mprotect(..., PROT_READ).
  >
  > When the program attempts to write some data to the pool (i.e.
  > pmemlog_append, pmemblk_write, ...), the library unprotects the pages
  > to be modified (usually just one or two pages) and once the data is
  > stored, the pages are protected again.
  >
  > Inside the kernel, mprotect splits the memory region associated with
  > the pool into 3 regions: the read-only head and tail + one r/w page in
  > the middle.
  >
  > The problem is that after the last step, the memory region associated
  > with the modified page is not merged with the adjacent regions having
  > the same protection flags (ro) to form one big read-only region again.
  > This leads to the situation where we have thousands of 4K memory
  > mappings per process that are tracked by the kernel separately. When
  > the number of maps exceeds the limit (default is 65536 - see:
  > /proc/sys/vm/max_map_count), mprotect fails with ENOMEM, which aborts
  > the program.

  Commitid: e1fb4a0864958fac2fb1b23f9f4562a9f90e3e8f
  dax: remove VM_MIXEDMAP for fsdax and device dax

  Target Kernel: 4.19

  Target Release: 18.10