I can confirm that "zfs set acltype=posixacl foo/bar/" is an effective
workaround. It appears to be
unset by default.

root@box /root# zfs set acltype=posixacl pool/srv/thing
root@box /root# zfs get acltype pool/srv
NAME      PROPERTY  VALUE     SOURCE
pool/srv  acltype   off       default
root@box /root# zfs get acltype pool/srv/thing
NAME            PROPERTY  VALUE     SOURCE
pool/srv/thing  acltype   posixacl  local

Thanks, Quentin.

  umask ignored on NFSv4.2 mounts

Status in nfs-utils package in Ubuntu:

  After upgrading to kernel 4.15.0-24-generic (on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS)
  NFSv4.2 mounts ignore the umask when creating files and directories.
  Files get permissions 666 and directories get 777.  Therefore, a umask
  of 000 is seemingly being forced when creating files/directories in
  NFS mounts.  Mounting with noacl does not resolve the issue.

  How to replicate:

  1. Mount an NFS share (defaults to NFSv4.2)
  2. Ensure restrictive umask: umask 022
  3. Create directory: mkdir test_dir
  4. Create file: touch test_file
  5. List: ls -l

  The result will be:
  drwxrwxrwx 2 user user 2 Jul  2 12:16 test_dir
  -rw-rw-rw- 1 user user 0 Jul  2 12:16 test_file

  while the expected result would be
  drwxr-xr-x 2 user user 2 Jul  2 12:16 test_dir
  -rw-r--r-- 1 user user 0 Jul  2 12:16 test_file

  Bug does not occur when mounting with any of:
    vers=3
    vers=4.0
    vers=4.1

  I have a suspicion this is related to:
https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-nfsv4-umask-03.html
  But since the server does not have ACL's enabled, and mounting with noacl
does not resolve the issue this is unexpected behavior.

  Both server and client are running kernel 4.15.0-24-generic on Ubuntu
  18.04 LTS.  NFS package versions are:

  nfs-kernel-server 1:1.3.4-2.1ubuntu5
  nfs-common 1:1.3.4-2.1ubuntu5