I tried launching an earlier kernel, which has worked in the past. It
did not this time and so I downloaded Linux Mint 19.1 to run side by
side and transfer from its predecessor 18.3 to the newest one and when
done will eliminate the elder partition. I have done that before, as
well. This one was stubborn. The problem occurred once before in Ubuntu
and I updated by clean install that time as well. I find it a bit
tedious to state the many terminal commands suggested that I tried. I am
still not so technically savvy. I do have a hands on like most around me
don't but I am not there yet as far as a guru or wizard.

    On Monday, March 18, 2019, 10:00:46 PM PDT, Kai-Heng Feng