I'm pushing on Dell to push on Intel. Not getting a lot of traction on
that but I'll update if I do. Definitely have this issue on all my Dell
R640s with X550s though.

I also suspect the ixgbe module here. The kernel 4.4.0-141 version is
4.2.1. Going to Ubuntu's 4.15.0-43 kernel takes it to 5.1.0 where the
1Gb negotiation issue pops up. I also tried upgrading ixgbe to 5.5.5 and
saw the same issue, so it isn't fixed yet or anything.

  Intel x550 not negotiating to 10Gb on x299 chipset

  I am having an issue with this particular machine auto negotiating
  10Gb. The onboard LOM will only negotiate to 1Gb. If I run `ethtool -s
  <device> advertise 0x1000`, the machine will delink and then negotiate
  to 10Gb and work as expecting. Rebooting the machine (or unplugging
  network cable) will cause it to negotiate to 1G again resulting in
  having to run the ethtool command again.

  This is what I have tried:
  Tried different cable from confirmed working machine that auto negotiates to
10Gb.
  Tried upgrading ixgbe driver to latest (5.5.3)
  Tried upgrading X550 firmware.
  I put an Intel x540-T1 card in the machine and that card works properly and
negotiates to 10Gb automatically. Move the cable to the LOM x550, and it still
negotiates to 1Gb.
  I also tried loading a live version of Fedora 29 (Kernel 4.18) with same
exact symptoms.

  We have several other machine negotiating fine on the same exact
  switch. I have tried those cables to test this problematic machine
  with same result as above.

  We have a machine that is pretty similar in hardware that is not
  exhibiting this issue. It is an ASUS x99 motherboard, with the same
  LOM Intel x550 card, running on 16.04.

  The machine that is causing problems is an Asus x299 motherboard with
  the Intel x550 LOM card running 18.04 (16.04 won't work on the x299
  chipset for some reason). I have a suspicion that it could potentially
  be related to the x299?

  The only way I have been able to get this problematic machine to
  negotiate to 10Gbps automatically is by plugging a cable directly from
  the LOM x550 of the problematic machine to another machines 10Gb
  network card. Doing that, the problematic machine will negotiate
  properly to 10Gb.

  I'm trying to find another 10Gb switch to test with to see if it could
  be unique to this combination of switch and machine. However, I'm
  reluctant to blame it on the switch since we have about several other
  machine working perfectly fine on the switch (some with the same exact
  x550 LOM).

  Other notes:

https://serverfault.com/questions/949006/intel-x550-not-negotiating-to-10gb?noredirect=1#comment1233436_949006
  ---
  ProblemType: Bug
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.5
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Release amd64
(20180725)
  IwConfig:
   enp179s0f1  no wireless extensions.

   lo        no wireless extensions.

   enp179s0f0  no wireless extensions.
  MachineType: System manufacturer System Product Name
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_modeset nvidia
  Package: linux (not installed)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  ProcFB: 0 EFI VGA
  ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.15.0-43-generic
root=UUID=7e94e4fd-ff67-46c2-9b58-3f7bb3840be4 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=1
  RelatedPackageVersions:
   linux-restricted-modules-4.15.0-43-generic N/A
   linux-backports-modules-4.15.0-43-generic  N/A
   linux-firmware                             1.173.3
  RfKill:

  Tags:  bionic
  UserGroups: adm cdrom dip lpadmin plugdev sambashare sudo
  _MarkForUpload: True
  dmi.bios.date: 11/30/2018
  dmi.bios.vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
  dmi.bios.version: 0905
  dmi.board.asset.tag: Default string
  dmi.board.name: WS X299 SAGE/10G
  dmi.board.vendor: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
  dmi.board.version: Rev 1.xx
  dmi.chassis.asset.tag: Default string
  dmi.chassis.type: 3
  dmi.chassis.vendor: Default string
  dmi.chassis.version: Default string
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnAmericanMegatrendsInc.:bvr0905:bd11/30/2018:svnSystemmanufacturer:pnSystemProductName:pvrSystemVersion:rvnASUSTeKCOMPUTERINC.:rnWSX299SAGE/10G:rvrRev1.xx:cvnDefaultstring:ct3:cvrDefaultstring:
  dmi.product.family: To be filled by O.E.M.
  dmi.product.name: System Product Name
  dmi.product.version: System Version
  dmi.sys.vendor: System manufacturer