Setting the Trusty nomination to "Won't Fix" based on the mailing list
feedback for the patches.

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu Xenial)

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu Bionic)

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu Cosmic)

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu Trusty)

  [CONFIG] please enable highdpi font FONT_TER16x32

Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in linux source package in Trusty:
  Won't Fix
Status in linux source package in Xenial:
  Fix Committed
Status in linux source package in Bionic:
  Fix Committed
Status in linux source package in Cosmic:

  == Justification ==
  The console font size on a high resolution screen is only suitable for
  eagles, although we can choose a bigger font by running:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure console-setup

  But that is not enough, the font size before video driver kicks in is
  still small. If we need to debug some early stage issues that will be a
  problem.

  == Fix ==
  ac8b6f14 (Fonts: New Terminus large console font)
  Config for this TER16x32 and the compiled-in fonts support needs to be
  enabled to keep engineers away from ophthalmologists.

  * Disco
    It's already there. Just need to enable the configs.
  * Cosmic / Bionic
    Patch can be cherry-picked.
  * Xenial
    It needs an extra patch to make it a clean cherry-pick:
    * 7bcae826 (lib/fonts/Kconfig: keep non-Sparc fonts listed together
  * Trusty
    It needs two extra patches to make it a clean cherry-pick:
    * fonts: Add 6x10 font (33ac9dba)
    * lib/fonts/Kconfig: keep non-Sparc fonts listed together (7bcae826).
    And a config entry for the 6x10 font.

  Commit "fonts: Add 6x10 font" is just adding a new font.
  Commit "lib/fonts/Kconfig: keep non-Sparc fonts listed together" is
  just a patch for context rearrangement.

  I think these two are safe to be pulled-in.

  == Test ==
  Test kernels: http://people.canonical.com/~phlin/kernel/lp-1819881-font/

  Add "fbcon=font:TER16x32" to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX in
  /etc/default/grub, and follow these steps.

  * Disco
    sudo update-grub; sudo reboot
  * Cosmic / Bionic
    Add "GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=3840x2160" to /etc/default/grub
    sudo update-grub; sudo reboot
  * Xenial
    sudo update-grub; sudo reboot
  * Trusty
    sudo update-grub; sudo reboot (I need the proprietary nvidia driver
    to boot for my SUT - Dell Precision M3800)

  The font before the video driver kicks in will get bigger.

  == Regression potential ==
  Minimal, changes are limited to adding console fonts, turn on fonts
  related kernel configs.

  [CONFIG] please enable highdpi font FONT_TER16x32

  This is now available in v5.0

  config/config.common.ubuntu:# CONFIG_FONT_TER16x32 is not set

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/diff/lib/fonts/Kconfig?id=ac8b6f148fc97e9e10b48bd337ef571b1d1136aa