Hello Jeremy,

This renaming of the packages is correct. As documented in bug 1764794,
we have switched our packaging to ship a signed linux image (for UEFI
Secure Boot) with the linux-image package, in contrast to having a
linux-image-signed package as before. In order to implement this, we had
to remove all the modules from the linux-image package. These modules
are now shipped by the linux-modules package, and the old linux-image-
extra has been renamed to linux-modules-extra.

In order to avoid issues when manually installing the kernel image and
modules packages, we recommend installing the meta package (e.g. linux-
generic or linux-image-generic) that will install the right version of
the packages.

I will mark this bug report as 'Invalid' given that it's the expected
behavior now. But please feel free to contact us if you have any further
question.

Thank you.

** Changed in: pkg-website

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

  linux-image-extra package accidentally renamed to linux-modules on
  Ubuntu 14?

Status in pkg-website:

  Hey all!

  We're running Ubuntu 14.04. We recently pulled in a new version of the
  kernel (looks like 3.13.0-166 was just released to address a security
  vulnerability: https://usn.ubuntu.com/3908-1/).

  Some of our scripts install the `linux-image-extra-*` package
  corresponding to the current kernel version (so in this case,
  3.13.0-166-generic). However, it looks like there is no `linux-image-
  extra-3.13.0-166-generic` package:

  ```
  $ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-cache policy linux-image-extra-3.13.0-166
  Reading package lists... Done

  N: Unable to locate package linux-image-extra-3.13.0-166
  N: Couldn't find any package by regex 'linux-image-extra-3.13.0-166'
  ```

  I do still see a version 165 version of this package:

  ```
  $ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-cache policy linux-image-extra-3.13.0-165
  Reading package lists... Done

  linux-image-extra-3.13.0-165-generic:
    Installed: (none)
    Candidate: 3.13.0-165.215
    Version table:
       3.13.0-165.215 0
          500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-updates/main amd64
Packages
          500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-security/main amd64
Packages
  ```

  What's interesting is that I do now see a `linux-modules-*` for 166,
  something that doesn't seem to exist for any old 14.04 kernels:

  ```
  $ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-cache policy linux-module-3.13.0-166
  Reading package lists... Done

  linux-modules-3.13.0-166-generic:
    Installed: 3.13.0-166.216
    Candidate: 3.13.0-166.216
    Version table:
   *** 3.13.0-166.216 0
          500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-updates/main amd64
Packages
          500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-security/main amd64
Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
  linux-modules-3.13.0-166-lowlatency:
    Installed: (none)
    Candidate: 3.13.0-166.216
    Version table:
       3.13.0-166.216 0
          500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-updates/main amd64
Packages
          500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-security/main amd64
Packages
  ```

  If you look at https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite=trusty-
  updates&section=all&arch=any&keywords=linux-modules&searchon=names,
  you can see that 166 is the *only* kernel version for this package
  (except for some -azure stuff that I don't know anything about). This
  is a stark contrast to https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite
  =trusty-updates&section=all&arch=any&keywords=linux-image-
  extra&searchon=names, where you can see lots of versions of this
  package for all kernels up to 165 (but not including 166).

  Is it possible that linux-image-extra-* was renamed to linux-modules-*
  in later versions of Ubuntu, and the naming got mixed up while
  backporting https://usn.ubuntu.com/3908-1/ to Ubuntu 14.04?