I'm an idiot and should have been trying the version from -proposed, of
course. Working on it

  HiSilicon HNS ethernet broken in 4.15.0-45

Status in linux source package in Bionic:
  Fix Committed
Status in linux source package in Cosmic:
  Fix Committed
Status in linux source package in Disco:

  The 1G NICs on the Huawei XR320 system do not detect link on initial boot,
resulting in broken networking. This is a regression caused by:

    308c6cafde01 ("net: hns: All ports can not work when insmod hns ko
  after rmmod.")

  While that fixed an issue with phys after reloading the driver, it
  caused an issue with some phys on initial load.

  [Test Case]
  dmesg | grep "hns-nic HISI00C2:02 enahisic2i2: link up"
  (With enahisic2i2 properly wired up)

  [Fix]
  This was addressed by upstream commit c77804be53369 ("net: hns: Fix WARNING
when hns modules installed"). While the commit message suggests this was for a
separate issue that we are not seeing (a WARNING message), it also resolves
this issue.

  [Regression Risk]
  Restricted to the hns driver, which is only used by certain HiSilicon SOCs.