As this is a hardware issue, marking this as Invalid.

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

  None of my external drives appear after Linux crash.

  First my system became incredibly slow (consistent with the memory
  leak in Caja). I xKill Caja and then tried to restart it. I then
  closed every app and tried to do a shutdown. I got a warning that Caja
  still had processes running preventing shutdown. I chose shut down
  anyway. I eventually got the progress screen showing that Linux was
  trying to shut down. After 1 1/2 hours of the progress screen, I
  manually turned off power. I was able to reboot but all of my external
  drives are missing. I tried turning off and then back on one drive
  with no result. When I plug a drive back in I do not feel the
  vibration caused by the drive spinning up. Nor do I feel the drive do
  the initial seek. This indicated that Linux is not even attempting to
  access the drives.

  Do I have to reinstall Ubuntu MATE 18.10 (again) in order to use
  external USB drives?

  The attached screen shots shows only partitions on my two internal
  hard drives. Gparted does not show the disks. Disks from the Control
  Center shows only internal devices.

  Without access to my external drives I am stalled. I can't even do
  backups.

  Package: linux-image-4.18.0-13-generic 4.18.0-13.14
  ApportVersion: 2.20.10-0ubuntu13.1
  Architecture: amd64
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC1:  robert     2606 F.... pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  robert     2606 F.... pulseaudio
  CurrentDesktop: MATE
  Date: Fri Dec 14 22:38:44 2018
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu-MATE 18.10 "Cosmic Cuttlefish" - Release amd64
(20181017.2)
  MachineType: System manufacturer System Product Name
  ProcFB: 0 radeondrmfb
  ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.18.0-13-generic
root=UUID=9bdf74d9-8608-440e-8020-66b698586d9d ro quiet splash vt.handoff=1
  RelatedPackageVersions:
   linux-restricted-modules-4.18.0-13-generic N/A
   linux-backports-modules-4.18.0-13-generic  N/A
   linux-firmware                             1.175.1
  RfKill:
   0: phy0: Wireless LAN
        Soft blocked: no
        Hard blocked: no
  SourcePackage: linux
  dmi.bios.date: 04/01/2014
  dmi.bios.vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
  dmi.bios.version: 1301
  dmi.board.asset.tag: To be filled by O.E.M.
  dmi.board.name: A88XM-A
  dmi.board.vendor: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
  dmi.board.version: Rev X.0x
  dmi.chassis.asset.tag: Asset-1234567890
  dmi.chassis.type: 3
  dmi.chassis.vendor: Chassis Manufacture
  dmi.chassis.version: Chassis Version
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnAmericanMegatrendsInc.:bvr1301:bd04/01/2014:svnSystemmanufacturer:pnSystemProductName:pvrSystemVersion:rvnASUSTeKCOMPUTERINC.:rnA88XM-A:rvrRevX.0x:cvnChassisManufacture:ct3:cvrChassisVersion:
  dmi.product.family: To be filled by O.E.M.
  dmi.product.name: System Product Name
  dmi.product.sku: SKU
  dmi.product.version: System Version
  dmi.sys.vendor: System manufacturer