** Also affects: ubuntu-mate

  Ubuntu MATE crashes when too many external USB drives are mounted.

Status in Ubuntu MATE:
  New
Status in caja package in Ubuntu:

  I had the following drives mounted:
  /media/robert/Shared - a second partition of the first internal hard drive
with an NTFS
  /media/robert/4TB LaCie - an external USB 3 drive with an NTFS
  /media/robert/4TB G-Drive - an external USB 3 drive with an NTFS
  /media/robert/4TB Seagate 1 - an external USB 3 drive with an NTFS file system
  /media/robert/4TB Seagate 2 - an external USB 3 drive with an NTFS file system
  /media/robert/4TB Seagate 3 - an external USB 3 drive with an HFS+ file system
  /media/robert/4TB Seagate 5 - an external USB 3 drive with an NTFS file system
  /media/robert/5TB Seagate 1 - an external USB 3 drive with an ext4 file system

  Detected but not mounted were:
  Win10 - a partition on my second hard drive with an NTFS file system
  U MATE 14 - a partition on my second hard drive with an ext4 file system
  Windows10 - a partition on my second hard drive with an NTFS file system
  701 GB Volume - a partition on my second hard drive with an ext4 file system
  83 GB Volume - a partition on my second hard drive with an ext4 file system

  Also attached but not detected is a 6TB Seagate USB 3 drive.

  The HFS+ files system was using hfs package.

  I was copying files from a directory in 4TB Seagate 3 to 4TB Seagate 1
  using the Terminal cp -anR command. Once all the files had been copied
  I intended to reformat the drive with a NTFS file system.

  I was using VueScan and it began misbehaving after I had deleted and
  renamed some directories with CAJA. I exited VueScan and tried to
  restart it. The initial splash screen displayed, then the program
  hang. I tried it again. Same results.

  I aborted the terminal copy and did a system shutdown. I saw the
  Ubuntu shutdown screen. I waited, and waited. I went to bed. After 8
  hours the shutdown screen was still being displayed. I had to turn the
  power off. Then I disconnected most of the external drives. I turned
  power back on and rebooted.

  The 6TB drive did appear and was mounted. I had to disconnect-
  reconnect the 4TB Seagate 3 (HFS+ file system) a number of times and
  reboot before it would mount.

  VueScan started properly and works fine. It had been working properly
  before - the error was that Caja would not show the newly scanned
  files that VueScan produced. After restarting Ubuntu they showed up
  proving that VueScan was not at fault.

  Caja is complaining when I try to delete files - see attachment,

  Package: linux-image-4.15.0-38-generic 4.15.0-38.41
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.4
  Architecture: amd64
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC1:  robert     2122 F.... pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  robert     2122 F.... pulseaudio
  CurrentDesktop: MATE
  Date: Thu Nov  1 22:20:39 2018
  HibernationDevice: RESUME=UUID=aa95f07d-f769-44ca-8b33-0c5b3c78bdeb
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu-MATE 18.04 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Release amd64
(20180426)
  MachineType: System manufacturer System Product Name
  ProcFB: 0 radeondrmfb
  ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.15.0-38-generic
root=UUID=26dc3ca5-f3ae-47eb-92b6-4f02ed5ba4f0 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=1
  RelatedPackageVersions:
   linux-restricted-modules-4.15.0-38-generic N/A
   linux-backports-modules-4.15.0-38-generic  N/A
   linux-firmware                             1.173.1
  RfKill:
   0: phy0: Wireless LAN
        Soft blocked: no
        Hard blocked: no
  SourcePackage: linux
  dmi.bios.date: 04/01/2014
  dmi.bios.vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
  dmi.bios.version: 1301
  dmi.board.asset.tag: To be filled by O.E.M.
  dmi.board.name: A88XM-A
  dmi.board.vendor: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
  dmi.board.version: Rev X.0x
  dmi.chassis.asset.tag: Asset-1234567890
  dmi.chassis.type: 3
  dmi.chassis.vendor: Chassis Manufacture
  dmi.chassis.version: Chassis Version
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnAmericanMegatrendsInc.:bvr1301:bd04/01/2014:svnSystemmanufacturer:pnSystemProductName:pvrSystemVersion:rvnASUSTeKCOMPUTERINC.:rnA88XM-A:rvrRevX.0x:cvnChassisManufacture:ct3:cvrChassisVersion:
  dmi.product.family: To be filled by O.E.M.
  dmi.product.name: System Product Name
  dmi.product.version: System Version
  dmi.sys.vendor: System manufacturer