** Patch added:
"0001-UBUNTU-SAUCE-shiftfs-lock-down-certain-superblock-fl.patch"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1827122/+attachment/5260369/+files/0001-UBUNTU-SAUCE-shiftfs-lock-down-certain-superblock-fl.patch

  shiftfs: lock security sensitive superblock flags

Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  Felix Abecassis from Nvidia recently reported the following bug:

  "I recently upgraded to Ubuntu 19.04, and decided to experiment with shiftfs
and unprivileged overlay.
  My goal was to have root (in my case, the docker daemon) download overlay
layers and then have multiple users leveraging shiftfs + unprivileged overlay
to assemble the rootfs without copying and chowning.
  For obvious security reasons, I want root to expose these layers as
read-only, any change will be to the user-owned "upper" filesystem.

  Here's what I'm currently doing:
  # Exposing the root-owned docker layers, the "ro" option seems to have no
impact on later userns mounts.
  sudo mount -t shiftfs -o mark,ro /var/lib/docker/overlay2 /mnt

  # Creating a userns as uid 1000, then mounting the shiftfs.
  unshare -U -m -r
  cd $(mktemp -d)
  mkdir shiftfs upper work merged
  # I can pass "ro" to the mount to get the behavior I want.
  mount -t shiftfs -o ro /mnt shiftfs

  mount -t overlay overlay -o

'lowerdir=shiftfs/c34c048514dcab5fc1bddf6d99681645786021e4a5b239972ec688386852a666/diff:[...],upperdir=upper,workdir=work'
  merged

  This works fine (excluding the xattrs issue with unprivileged
  overlay), but I can't rely on users to pass the "ro" option to their
  mounts. Without it, any user would be able to write to
  /var/lib/docker/overlay2 through the shiftfs mountpoint.

  I couldn't find a way to enforce do that, is there one? Is it possible to
have one?
  I quickly attempted to have root do the shiftfs mounts for the users, but it
seems the shift is always for the root of the current userns, and can't be done
for another user."