Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

** Changed in: kexec-tools (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to kexec-tools in Ubuntu.

  linux-crashdump doesn't actually dump and reboot

Status in “kexec-tools” package in Ubuntu:

  In our infrastructure we have a large number of virtual machines running
Ubuntu 12.04 (and some that are running 10.04), as well as a couple of CentOS
machines.
  From time to time they will panic and we'll be left with nothing but a
screenshot, which makes for poor debugging. I pushed forward to install
linux-crashdump (or crash on CentOS) by default.
  Following this documentation on how to enable crash dumps:
https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/serverguide/kernel-crash-dump.html I've done the
testing myself, on both libvirt/qemu, virtualbox, but also on actual hardware
(my laptop, which is the yet unreleased running Ubuntu 13.04).

  The results have been rather sobering. After initiating a panic, the machines
shows a back-trace and then just hangs. As the documentation says that the
crash-dump can take some time, I've left the machines for several hours in this
state with no change.
  I've followed several cues, documenting my journey in this ask.ubuntu answer:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/310885/kernel-dump-using-linux-crashdump-under-vmware
 — The testing on my own laptop has led to seeing the first bluescreen in over
ten years: http://i.imgur.com/oAwEJZ8.jpg

  My final tests were with CentOS, since we only have a handful of machines
running CentOS I put a lower priority on testing/implementing that. However,
following RHEL's documentation (
https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Deployment_Guide/ch-kdump.html
 ) I managed to get crash/dump/reboot and crashdump on the very first try.
  By this token I'm assuming it's not entirely my fault or my systems' fault,
but perhaps is more specific to Debian.